The Runcam 3 is the latest offering from the popular budget HD camera manufacturer and has been designed for use with FPV drones in mind. It follows the popular Runcam 2, but comes in a new form factor for the company. The camera is expected to be released towards the end of February and I will be updating this page with information as it is available.
With the popularity of the GoPro Hero 5 Session in the FPV drone community, it comes as no surprise that Runcam have decided to release a cheaper alternative. The Run cam 3 comes in the same form factor as the Session, with the dimensions being almost identical.
Update 1: You can now get the Runcam 3 HERE.
Update 2: The Runcam 3 has been discontinued, so has limited availability, but we now have an even better option, the Runcam Split – read the review here. This combines both an FPV and HD recording camera in one lightweight system.
- Same size and shape as the GoPro Session, so the Runcam 3 will be compatible with the accessories for the Session
- 1080p/60fps with wide dynamic range
- 155 degree wide angle lens
- Replaceable glass front
- 60+ minutes recording time
- Classic orange colour to make it easy to find
- SD card slot is protected by a rubber seal, to prevent your SD card coming out in a crash
- Will come with an included rubber mount, to make fitting it to your drone easy. This also means no 3D printing is required before you can mount it.
- Video out connection, so the Runcam 3 can be used as your FPV camera. Latency is expected to be similar or less than than the 40-50ms of the Runcam 2.
- The Runcam 3 is not waterproof, so make sure you don’t go out flying in the rain!
- Similar FOV to the Session, but no Superview option
- WiFi connectivity for a live preview, video playback and modifying settings
EDIT: The full specification is now out!
|Dimension||38mm(L) * 36mm(W) * 38mm(H)|
|Video Resolution||1080p@60fps / 720p@120fps|
|Max Micro SD Card Supported||64G(need class 6 or above)|
|Battery Capacity||960mAh（1.5h @1080P 30fps / 1h @1080P 60fps）|
|FOV(Angle of Field)||155°|
|Sensor Resolution||2 megapixels|
|WDR||ON / OFF|
|TV Output||NTSC / PAL|
|Image Flip(Manual/Auto)||180° Rotation|
|USB Power Input||DC 5V-17V|
|Working Current||<600 mA|
Overall I think this could make a very good FPV drone HD recording camera and look forward to getting my hands on one once they are released.
For now, here are some videos comparing the image and sound quality of the Runcam 3 and the GoPro Hero 5 Session.
I am impressed with the video quality. It is slightly over saturated, but looks crisp and seems to handle lighting changes well. What lets the camera down is the audio quality, but when used as a drone HD camera, the audio quality doesn’t matter too much.
The next video gives you a bit more of a look at the camera mounted to a drone, followed by more flight footage.
What do you think of the new Runcam 3, will you be getting one?