Here are my top “oh man, I forgot…” items when building drones, or everything you will forget to buy when building a drone. Forgetting these isn’t as bad as the Drone Building Tools, but will likely leave you botching together a compromised solution. We all know anything can be fixed with enough tape, right? In most cases that’s true, but not here. When you are trying to mount a flight controller with a sensitive gyroscope, to a carbon fibre frame that could be flying through the air at 80mph, that’s not a good idea. These are the bits I would hate to forget about, but let me know if I’ve missed any.
Everything you will forget to buy when building a drone:
- Heatgun or a lighter
- Loctite (get the blue, not red/permanent!)
- 3mm motor bolts, M3 plastic bolts and M3 plastic standoffs
- XT60 power connectors (or whichever connector type you are using)
- Extra 14 and 16 gauge wire
- Optional: get on the hype train and grab some silicone conformal coating, to waterproof your electronics while you build!
Have a look at the FPV Drone Parts List if you haven’t already, for my current recommendations when building a drone.